First, fill a basin with some cool water and add a fine wool washing product like Eucalan or Soak™. (I choose an unscented variety for items that I plan on selling.) There is no need to rinse the item with either of these products. Then follow these steps:
- Gently swish the beret a little and then let it soak for a while.
- Remove the beret from the liquid and press some of the water out by hand without wringing, twisting, or scrunching the beret.
- Lay the beret on a thick Turkish towel and cover it with part of the towel. Press the beret between the two layers of towel.
- Immediately remove the beret and give it a shake to remove any little wrinkles created in the last step.
- Lay the beret out flat, brim side up, and let it dry by 50-75%
- Put the beret over a dinner plate to shape it and let it dry thoroughly.
Below you can see the arrangement of plate and bowl that I use in blocking my berets.