Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Inner Princess

A favorite Midwest artist and storyteller is Brian Andreas. I first encountered his work one summer at a gallery in Galena, Illinois. Brian is the genius behind Story People. His illustrations and accompanying writing is pithy humor at its greatest. Each illustration has a story told in one or two sentences.

I was viewing/reading a stack of illustrations in the gallery and was laughing so uproariously that I attracted two saleswomen at once who came flying like crows to a feast. They both chattered on with more than characteristic zeal about this artist's work.

The story that most resonated with me in the most tersely cogent way ('though you'd have to see the illustration to get the best humor of it) was this:

"Are you a princess? I said. And she said I'm much more than a princess but you don't have a name for it yet here on earth."

In the fall of the same year, I featured handmade handbags at a juried art show and the theme for the year was "Inner Princess." Each artist was to make an item for the theme, which was so perfect for me as a fiber girly girl. This is the OOAK purse that I made and sold.




You might see this inner princess influence surface in my work now and again.

No comments: