Friday, July 2, 2010

In Print! Simple Pillbox Confection

Good News! Two of my accessory designs can now be seen in a print publication! There are two of my hats in the newly published 1000 Fabulous Knit Hats by Annie Modesitt. Annie is a knitwear designer extraordinaire and a fantabulous teacher of knitting cables without a needle. What I really like about her, in addition to her infectious humor in the classroom, is that she has validated the "wrong" way I often prefer to knit.

This post shows photos of the first design of mine in the book, and the next post will show the second hat.  I will be seeking test knitters for both patterns soon, so if you are interested in being a test knitter for either hat design, let me know in the comments.


This simple pillbox confection was a joy to design and knit up. It uses my favorite twisted stitches and a combination of textures layered and edged in a way to resemble a sweet tasty cake. It's just as much fun to wear as it is to knit, and you could easily add your favorite knit, crochet, or silk flower to it for added pizazz.

It's also fun to display it like a dessert. Sure fooled Mr. Cha Cha at first!



It's amazingly exciting to see your work in print, even if only in a minor way. My past publishing experience was related only to a written collaboration on a boring college textbook and the publication of a couple of sappy poems in a local dance magazine. Having an accessory design finally in print feels so stellar!

I'd like to get in a plug for Annie's Book which is in a really cool format and is published by Quarry Books.


This inspiring book has patterns for the wonderful top ten winning hats, but beyond that it is an amazing coffee table book for knitters. It's a picture book of hats of all kinds, arranged by style. If you need help choosing this year's gift project ideas, this book will be a super resource. I could spend hours pouring over all the beautiful photos. The list of contributors is in the back of the book--that's where you'll find my name. Sweet!

By the way, a copy of this book just might be included in my annual blog anniversary giveaway. Yep, it's almost time to celebrate two years of blogging. Watch for details this month.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh yay! So exciting! Beautiful hat - congratulations!!!!

Cindy said...

Congratulations on having your work published. That looks like a great hat book, and I'm always looking for new hats to knit.

Julia said...

Lovely work!